Grooming at Home
Dogs benefit from regular baths at home. Wash your pet in warm water with a dog specific shampoo and ensure the product is completely rinsed out of their coat. Residual shampoo can cause itching and rashes. A leave in conditioner can keep them smelling lovely for a little longer. Pets with sensitive skin may benefit from a bath in an oatmeal based shampoo.
Washing should be performed no more than once per week to prevent irritation of the skin.
We encourage you to engage in regular grooming with your pet at home. Some of the many benefits of regular grooming are:
- Decreased chance of skin problems
- Optimal skin cleanliness and comfort for you and your pet
- The presence of lumps or skin lesions, pain, or changes in temperament may be detected earlier with regular grooming
- Enhanced behavioural routines with obedience principals practised during grooming periods
- Closer bonding with your pet through regular contact